Thursday, June 25, 2009

God is in the plans...even the ones we don't understand

Yesterday, a good friend was taken from us way too soon. I had grown up with Mark Meredith since my first day of kindergarten in Mrs. Peacock's class at Rehobeth High School. Since then, we've gone through years of school, years of fun and years of friendship. Mark held another special place in my heart because he was the best friend of someone very close to me. I knew how Mark and Ryan were so close and how they leaned on each other and relied on each other in the good times and bad. When you hear news like I heard early yesterday morning, you're in complete disbelief, shocked and are left feeling completely helpless.

After those feelings subside and you're searching for answers and comfort, you finally find your way back to God. In times like these, we have to remind ourselves that God is still present, even when we don't understand His plans or why He allows things to happen. We'll never know the answers this side of Heaven, but we have to cling to the promise that God promises good things to those that believe and trust in Him. I think God understands when we question Him, but I also think we have two choices in times like these-- we can either give the situation to God and see how He works good things through bad situations or we can let satan take control and destroy the good things Mark worked for and all the times he made us smile.

I've listened to the song, "Praise You in This Storm" by Casting Crowns more times than I can count. It seems to be the one song that lets me question, lets me cry and still produces a positive outcome and a small sense of peace and comfort.

Mark will always be remembered as our really tall friend who brought a smile everywhere he went. :) Please keep the Meredith family and all of Mark's friends in your prayers and pray that they experience a magnitude of peace, comfort and strength that only God can provide.

"I'll praise You in this storm, and I will lift my hands. Cause You are who You are, no matter where I am. And every tear I've cried, You hold in Your hand. You never left my side, and though my heart is torn, I'll praise You in this storm." -Casting Crowns

1 comment: